For too long coleslaw has been a forgettable side dish at potlucks, picnics and luncheons. Sure, we all know its creamy cabbage taste and expect to see it sitting off to the side of a buffet—but this spring it’s time for that to change. Give coleslaw a tasty makeover and the coming out it deserves with our slaw-sprucing tips and irresistible coleslaw recipes:
- Always serve coleslaw cold. We recommend preparing the dish ahead of time and allowing it to chill in the fridge before serving. This will create extra crispness and a wonderful melding of flavors.
- Be careful not to slice cabbage too thinly or the coleslaw will loose its crunch and become limp. A nice 1/4-inch chiffonade is perfect. For a video on how to chiffonade click here.
- Salt cabbage, let it drain, give a quick rinse in ice water and then drain again before dressing to retain crispness in a creamy slaw.
- Try using rice wine vinegar to add tartness tempered with a little sweetness.
- Move beyond the traditional cabbage and mayonnaise combo by using vinaigrette in place of mayo or tossing in chopped onions, celery, pickles, carrots, cucumbers, nuts or even fruit. With so many options you can create either tangy or sweet slaws to compliment your meal.