Whether you’re a carnivore (all beef, all the time), a healthyvore (lean turkey or ground chicken please), or a veggievore (black bean, mushroom or soy protein only), your burger of choice deserves better than a melty bit of cheese, a glob of mayo, and a squirt of ketchup. Not that there’s anything wrong with melty cheese, mayo, and ketchup, it’s just that a little change will sometimes do you good, and it will definitely jazz up your burger. Here are a few ideas to whet your appetite.
- If you must have mayo, make your own homemade herbed version. It taste tons better, and it’s so simple to make you’ll ask yourself why you’ve been bothering to buy it all these years. In a blender, combine 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and the juice of a lemon. As mixture is blending, slowly add 3/4 cp of canola or vegetable oil and blend until fully emulsified. Add fresh dill or thyme and a bit of minced garlic.
- Brush sweet, thick-cut Vidalia onions with olive oil and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Grill and serve over a burger of any kind with white Cheddar and bottled barbecue sauce.
- Mix equal parts blue and cream cheese; thin slightly with mayonnaise and serve over beef patties or our Grilled Portobella Mushroom Steaks.
- For a super-simple burger schmear, Mix fresh goat cheese with our Sun-dried Tomato Pesto.
- Smother turkey burgers with our Green Tomato Relish or a zippy toss of red and green chili peppers, sauteed in olive oil and simmered for 5 mintues or so in a bit of red wine vinegar, a dash of sugar or honey, fresh lime juice, and sea salt.
blog comments powered by Disqus