Into every life a few unplanned potlucks must fall—the get-together with neighbors that comes together over the hedges at the last minute or a book club meeting that gets moved to the lunch or dinner hour. No matter the circumstances, when you're on the hook for a dish for something delicious with almost no notice, a deli chicken can save you. Here's how:
- Toss together a quick main-dish salad of shredded deli chicken, corn niblets, chopped fresh basil, pine nuts, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. You can also use your favorite bottled vinaigrette. Serve at room temp with flat bread, in lettuce cups, with crackers, or toasted pita pockets.
- Whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, a few drops of sesame oil, chili garlic paste or Sriracha, a little rice wine vinegar, and freshly zested ginger. Toss with cubed or shredded chicken, matchstick carrots and sliced green onions; serve with fresh lettuce leaves for wrapping and extra sauce for dipping.
- Try a new take on lunchtime quesadillas; use shredded rotisserie chicken, frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry, feta cheese, and flour tortillas. Serve with a spicy picante sauce.
- Whip up a make-ahead strata with deli chicken, Gruyere or gouda cheese, asparagus, and cubed Italian or French bread. Bind with eggs, cream, salt, pepper and a soupcon of Dijon mustard. Dot with butter before baking.
- Make curried chicken salad with cubed chicken, curry powder, plain yogurt, salt, a dash of cayenne, a jot of honey, almond slivers, sultanas (golden raisins), chopstick carrots and sliced green onion. Just before serving, fold in the juice of a fresh lime or two. Serve with crackers, sour dough bread or scooped inside our Popovers.
- Add shredded chicken to our Hearty Corn Chowder.